Jennifer Ries and her husband were driving to the Los Angeles airport on their way to a volunteer trip to South America. Jennifer, in the passenger seat, was recharging her electronic cigarette battery when she detected an odd smell. She says she saw liquid dripping from the battery, and when she tried to unscrew it, flames shot out and the battery exploded. She says her cotton dress caught on fire, causing second-degree burns over her lower body.

Now she and her husband are suing the manufacturer, accusing it of marketing a dangerous product.

E-cigarettes, like regular cigarettes, are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. But while e-cigarettes are much safer than regular cigarettes in terms of causing lung cancer, it’s not clear that the FDA is up to speed yet on regulating the electronic components of e-cigarettes. And these components, if they’re not made fully safe by the manufacturer, could have the potential to cause very serious injuries.

If you’ve experienced an injury or loss, call us at 864.233.7200 or 1.800.903.8101 for a free telephone consultation.